I’ve decided to crawl out of my post-election depression to update you all on our latest cooking excursion! In preparation for the elections, Elyse and I got together on Monday night to make America-inspired Rice Krispies Treats (the best kind)! Upon first glance, we assumed this would be a pretty easy task…but we found out much differently once we got started. The original recipe was from blogger Lil Luna and can be found here: http://lilluna.com/fouth-of-july-rice-krispies-treats/
A brief description of what NOT to do….DO NOT take your time once you’ve melted the marshmallows. Also, don’t try melting them in the microwave….they solidfy much faster and you’ll end up like this:
And now for the real recipe….once we got the hang of it, it became MUCH easier!
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 bag Marshmallows
6 tsp Butter
Red and Blue Food Coloring
1. Prep: Line your 9×9 pan with aluminum foil and make sure all ingredients open and handy
2. Melt 2 tsp butter in a saucepan
3. Slowly stir in 1/3 of the marshmallows and food coloring for the first layer (the first is the bottom!)
4. Mix in 2 cups Rice Krispies
5. Spread the mixture into your pan
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for the other 2 layers
The beauty of rice krispies treats – they’re pretty much impossible to screw up! Despite our minor mishap in the beginning, the treats still turned out delicious and festive!
These are also perfect for the Fourth of July and Memorial Day – but I can’t wait to start playing with colors and make them again for other holidays and special occasions!